The United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) has said some 300 Rohingya Muslim refugees from Myanmar were still unaccounted for last week, following a massive fire which swept through the world’s biggest refugee settlement in Bangladesh.
Addressing reporters at the UNHCR headquarters in Geneva on Tuesday, Spokesman Andreij Mahecic said eleven deaths had been officially declared.
“Many families are still being reunited,” Mr. Mahecic added.
Last Monday’s blaze tore through the cramped camp in southeast Bangladesh’s Cox’s Bazar district, forcing about 45,000 people from their bamboo and plastic homes.
In 2018, an estimated 600,000 Rohingyas fled fighting in Myanmar’s northern Rhakine State and settled in camps in neighbouring Bangladesh.
Months later, the UN declared that the Myanmar military had committed what amounted to war crimes and human rights abuses against the Rohingya, but China and Russia prevented the UN Security Council from taking punitive action against Myanmar’s de facto military rulers.