Home » Benue to go after attackers of Governor Ortom
Benue Featured Headlines Security

Benue to go after attackers of Governor Ortom

The Benue State Security Council on Monday rose from an emergency meeting with a resolve to go after the gunmen that shot at the convoy of Governor Samuel Ortom on Saturday last week.

The governor blamed the Miyetti Allah group, a Fulani socio-ethnic association, for attempting to assassinate him over his opposition to open grazing.

However, a Fulani group, hitherto unknown, the Fulani Nationality Movement (FUNAM) reportedly claimed responsibility for the attack.

The group, in a report by an online news platform, in a statement signed by one Umar Amir Shehu said they attacked Ortom in an action carried out on behalf of millions Fulani people in 15 countries.

Attackers must be fished out

Briefing newsmen after the meeting held at Government House Makurdi, Governor Ortom said the council was unanimous that those who carried out the attack must be fished out.

The security council commended the prompt reaction of President Muhammadu Buhari in condemning the attack and the Inspector General of Police for setting up a high powered panel to investigate.

It called on the Federal Government to effect the arrest of the leaders of FUNAM who came out to claim responsibility for the attack and those of Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore who have consistently oppose the laws of the state.

Meanwhile, youths staged a demonstration in support of the governor saying the anti-open grazing law in the state was apt.

Speaking on behalf of Tiv Youth, Timothy Hembaor, Inalegwu Adakole for Idoma and John Oga for Igede condemned the attack and assured that the youths would always stand by the Governor in all his policies and programmes.

Terna Injua

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: