Some parents of the abducted students of GSSS and residents of Kakara local government. Photo credit: BBC
The Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, has sent more police officials to Katsina State where an attack on a secondary school by gunmen has left scores missing with many feared abducted.
These additional “operational and investigative assets” are to support the ongoing search and rescue operations following the attack.
A statement by the Police Public Relations Officer, Frank Mba says The deployment is the sequel to the unfortunate attack on Government Science Secondary School, GSSS Kankara, Katsina State by heavily armed men on Friday, which left some of the students missing.
Among additional officials sent to the state are personnel from the Police Tactical Squads and crack detectives from the Force Intelligence Bureau.
They will provide investigative support to the Katsina State Police Command.
“They are also to work in sync with the military and other law enforcement agents in coordinated efforts aimed at rescuing the students, hunting down the perpetrators, and bringing them to book,” Mba noted.
According to the police, investigations so far reveal that one of the attackers was killed and a policeman injured during the attack.
President Buhari condemns Katsina school attack
The attack has drawn condemnation from many including President Muhammadu Buhari who also charged the army and the police to go after the attackers to ensure that no student gets missing or harmed.
According to a statement by the senior special assistant to the president on media and publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu said the president urged the school authorities to carry out an audit of the population of the students following shootings in and around the school that sent hundreds of them fleeing and scrambling over perimeter walls.
Parents who rushed to the school and removed their children and wards were also required to notify the school and police authorities in order to have a full account of the school population.
According to the statement President Buhari said the Government prayers are with the families of the students, the school authorities and the injured
President Buhari pledged to continue to support the police and military struggle against terrorists and bandits.
In the latest briefing received by the President from Governor Aminu Bello Masari, with whom he has been in touch, and the Army Chief of Staff, General Tukur Buratai, the military, supported by airpower has located the bandits’ enclave at Zango/Paula forest in Kankara and there have been exchanging of fire in an ongoing operation. Police said so far, there has not been reported any student casualty.
The President has directed the reinforcement of security of all schools in line with the safe schools’ policy of the administration.
Similarly, Governor Aminu Bello Masari of Katsina State has ordered the immediate closure of all boarding secondary schools following the abduction of students of the Government Science Secondary School Kankara by bandits on Friday.
The Governor, accompanied by his Deputy Alhaji Mannir Yakubu and other government officials, visited the school, where he met with the management, parents, traditional and religious leaders as well as security officials.
Governor Masari pleaded with the people to be patient and show restraint and understanding, assuring them that the government will do every necessary thing to ensure the release of all the abducted students.
He said the already security officials, constituting the military, the police and the Department of State Security had swung into action and are on the trail of the abductors.
Many students missing
Many students were reported missing from Government Boys Science Secondary School, Kankara, which was attacked by bandits.
Confirming the attack in a telephone interview, the Public Relations Officer of the state Police Command, SP Gambo said one police officer was injured in a gun battle with the bandits
The PPRO earlier said no abduction had been confirmed, and that the students escaped into the forest amidst sounds of gunshots.
He explained that policemen on search and rescue operation have found about two hundred students in the forest and returned them to safety.
Meanwhile residents of Kankara town had told our correspondent that the bandits had made an earlier attempt to attack parts of the town but were repelled by troops of Operation Sahel Sanity that were stationed in the town.
Bello Wakili, with additional reporting by Isma’il Adamu and Sadiq Garba