National security adviser, Babagana Monguno says a major action would be taken in the next few hours over the current security situation in the country.
He told state House correspondents, after the national security council meeting on Thursday, that President Muhammadu Buhari has directed that government should do whatever is necessary in order to bring about an agreeable resolution to this crisis
.“So far, the government has been able to concede to the demands of the protesters. The initial demands have been considered and it appears now that the riots are taking a different and unwanted dimension. And Mr. President is very concern about this development and does not want a situation in which everything breaks down and results in anarchy, in lawlessness and people taking the law into their own hands.
If government can begin to make concessions, then its also logical for the protesters, those that are aggrieved also to take a step back, take stock of their activities and come to a meeting point with government and its agencies, he was quoted as saying.
President Muhammadu Buhari presided over the National Security Council meeting at the presidential Villa Abuja
Vice president Yemi Osinbanjo, Secretary to the Government of the federation Boss Mustapha and chief of staff to the president Ibrahim Gambari were present.
Also in attendance were the Minister of Defence Bashir Salihi Magashi, the Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola and that of Police affairs Muhammad Maigari Dingyadi.
All the service chiefs and the inspector General of Police were also present at the meeting, including the Director General of the National intelligence agency Ahmed Rufai, the Director General of the department of state security service Yusuf Bichi.