Home » Demolition: Proprietor calls for LASG intervention
Featured Headlines News Nigeria

Demolition: Proprietor calls for LASG intervention

The school situated at Oja Oba, Abule Egba before it was demolished

A school proprietor, Mr Samuel Ikechi Kana has made a passionate appeal to the Lagos State governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu to immediately intervene on the demolition of his school.

Ikechi, the proprietor of the Queen Diana International School in Abule Egba is calling on governor Sanwo-Olu to urgently intervene on the demolition of the three-storey building which occupied about 2000 students and has over 100 students who had already paid for and preparing to write West African Examination Council (WAEC).

The school which was demolished under the instruction of the Commissioner for Physical Urban Development Planning that the government planned to use the land for Computer Village and allies Business Park with short notice of seven days to remove the properties.

The elderly man, Ikechi claimed exclusive possession of the said property, approximately 2009.649 meter squares.

Three plot of land having obtained the Certificate of Occupancy on September 28, 2001which was registered as Number 89 at page 89 in volume of the Federal Inland Registry, Ikoyi, Lagos State.

He said, furtherance of the development of the property, he obtained the necessary government approvals which include: Approved site planned dated March 2001, Structural approval dated March 2002.

The school site after demolition

Environmental impact analysis report for the proposed school building dated January 12, 2001 and Lagos State Ministry of Education School approval dated May 28, 1993, June 8, 1993, and October 14, 2007.

The proprietor lauded the effort of the government on infrastructural development. He noted that ” the proposed development plan should not exclude schools which serve the generality of the community.

The school, Queen Diana International school is a massive property made up of three-floor long building in ‘U’ shape. Since the establishment, the school has served the community and has been accepted as a community school.

The school sits over 500 pupils and students with over 40 academic staff and over 20 non-academic staff strength whose lives and those of their families are dependent on the school.

However, before the building was demolished, the Physical & Urban Development Planning gave them removal notice, dated January 17,2020.

Following the removal notice, he wrote to the Governor, the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice as well as Commissioner for Physical & Urban Planning and the Permanent Secretary of the state government through the chambers of Dr. Paul Ananaba (SAN).

They locked the school on February 17, despite the notice of the court processes pasted on the wall, showing that the case has been filed in out.

While Justice O.A Ogala was granting injunction to restrain the defendant from entering the property, demolishing or interfering in anyway whatsoever the place has been levelled to the ground.

Justice Ogala had therefore ordered restraining the Lagos State government,the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Commissioner for Physical & Urban Development Planning and Permanent Secretary of Lagos State Land Bureau from demolishing the school.

The judge made this order while ruling on a motion exparte filed by the proprietor through his counsel, Mr A. Barrah.

In the suit marked ID/2675LM/20, the court ordered restrained the respondents and their agents, privies from demolishing the property and asked the claimant to served them within 24 hours.

However, a call was put through to the Commissioner for Physical & Urban Development Planning, he did not pick his call or return the call.

Upon a visit to the office, the Public Relations Officer (PRO), Mr Olabanji Mukaila told Radio Nigeria that he was not aware of the demolition, adding that he would verify and get back to Radio Nigeria.

Wahab Akinlade

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: