North Korea has launched a ballistic missile from off its east coast.
The missile, described by some Western sources as submarine-launched, was fired on Wednesday, barely a day after Pyongyang announced the resumption of nuclear talks with the United States.
If confirmed, it would be the most provocative test by North Korea since it started the talks with Washington in 2018 on how to end its nuclear programme.
Analysts say the launch may have been intended as a reminder by North Korea of its weapons capability, as it prepares for another round of talks.
A US State Department spokeswoman called on Pyongyang to “refrain from provocations” and remain committed to the nuclear negotiations.
South Korea said it had detected the launch of one missile that flew 450 kilometres, reaching an altitude of 910 kilometres.
South Korean Defence Minister Jeong Kyeong-doo told a parliamentary committee that the missile has a range of about 1,300 kilometres and that its trajectory may have been raised to reduce the distance it traveled.
CNN, citing a US official, said that the missile was launched from an underwater platform, which North Korea had previously used in 2015.
Seoul and Japan condemned the launch, calling it a violation of UN Security Council resolutions.
Talks aimed at dismantling North Korea’s nuclear and missile programmes have been stalled since a second summit between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Vietnam in February ended without a deal.
The two leaders then met at the Demilitarized Zone border between the two Koreas in June and pledged to resume talks within weeks.