Seven soldiers and one civilian have been killed in an ambush in Egypt’s North Sinai region, security sources say.
Islamic State (IS) said they were responsible for Friday’s attack, which also caused injuries to Two government soldiers.
A security source confirmed that the ambush occurred in Bir al-Abed, although an IS statement on Friday claimed that fifteen government troops had been killed in the attack.
Egypt has long been fighting Islamist militants, who have waged an insurgency that has killed hundreds of soldiers, police and residents, in the northern part of the Sinai Peninsula.
Meanwhile, Egypt’s Defence Ministry said on Friday that security forces had killed 118 militants in north and central Sinai in the “past period”, but it did not say when the incidents took place.