The Minister of Foreign Affairs Mr Geoffrey Onyeama says a definitive action will be taken on the continued attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.
There was a need for compensation to victims and punishment to offenders, the minister told the Head of South African mission in Nigeria, during a meeting in Abuja on Tuesday.
Mr Onyeama expressed disappointment that despite a draft proposal sent by the Federal Government to address the violence, it was not signed by the South African authorities.
The head of SA mission, Mr Bobi Moro who condemned the incident said it was carried out by criminals who want to throw the country into crisis.
He said the attacks were not xenophobic but criminal, saying 70 people have so far been arrested.
He said the proposals by the Federal Government to create an early warning mechanism and a recommendation to have a Nigerian Police attaché in Nigerian High Commission in South Africa will be given due consideration.
Renewed attacks in South Africa triggered a call for the boycott of their businesses in Nigeria.