Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, has summoned the South African High Commissioner to Nigeria, Bobby Moroe, over xenophobic attacks in South Africa.
A meeting has been scheduled to hold by 11am on Tuesday.
A senior official of the ministry, Kimiebi Ebenfa, confirmed the development in a WhatsApp message, according to The Nation newspaper.
It reads: “I am directed to inform you that the Minister of Foreign Affairs has summoned the High Commissioner of South Africa for a meeting this morning by 11.”
Onyema on Monday vowed the Federal Government would take “definitive measures” following renewed attacks on Nigerians.
Enough is enough
On his twitter handle, the Minister said: “Received sickening and depressing news of continued burning and looting of Nigerian shops and premises in #SouthAfrica by mindless criminals with ineffective police protection. Enough is enough. We will take definitive measures.”
Nigerians in South Africa on Tuesday protested against the continuous attacks at the Embassy in South Africa, accusing the embassy of not doing enough to protect them.
Last week, President Muhammadu Buhari and his South African Counterpart Cyril Ramaphosa met on the sidelines of a Summit in Japan.
Both leaders agreed to meet in October, with xenophobia expected to dominate agenda at the meeting.
In the latest attacks, South Africans looted and burnt properties belonging to foreigners and in the process killed three people, while another is still receiving treatment for smoke inhalation.
The President of the Nigeria Union South Africa, Adetola Olubajo said on Monday that the attacks began on Sunday morning in Jeppestown area of Johannesburg when a building was set ablaze by a mob.
Boycott of South African businesses
Many Nigerian are now calling for the boycott of South African businesses in Nigeria. Some twitter users whent on social media to publicly smash their DSTV console, a multi-media company owned by South Africa.