Hong Kong chief-executive Carrie Lam says the controversial bill that would have allowed extradition to the Chinese mainland “is dead”.
In a Tuesday press conference, Ms. Lam said the government’s work on the bill had been a “total failure”.
But she stopped short of saying it had been withdrawn completely, as protesters have been demanding.
The bill sparked weeks of unrest in the city and the government had already suspended it indefinitely.
“But there are still lingering doubts about the government’s sincerity or worries whether the government will restart the process in the Legislative Council,”
BBC reported Ms. Lam as telling reporters.
“So I reiterate here, there is no such plan. The bill is dead.”
Only recently, the embattled Hong Kong leader had said the bill “will die” in 2020 when the current legislative term ends.