Mozambique on Thursday has experienced another cyclone; barely a month after the previous Cyclone Idai killed hundreds and destroyed large areas.
Cyclone Kenneth hit with winds of 220 km/h (140mph), flattening thousands of homes flooding low-lying areas.
The storm was then downgraded as winds fell but heavy rains followed and are expected to last for days to come.
One person was reported dead in Mozambique after being crushed by a falling coconut tree. The cyclone had already killed three people on the island nation of Comoros.
The UN’s World Food Programme said it was working on an “emergency preparedness plan” with the Mozambican government and other humanitarian groups.
30,000 people had been evacuated from affected areas according to Mozambique’s National Institute of Disaster Management (INGC), meanwhile reports from northern Mozambique says many homes had collapsed.
Cyclone Kenneth made landfall on Mozambique’s northern province of Cabo Delgado on Thursday evening, with wind speeds equivalent to a category four hurricane. Communications with the affected areas were disrupted, obscuring the full extent of the damage.
Thousands remain away from their homes after compulsory evacuation procedures put into place by authorities.